When Jonathan Canlas announced that he wrote a Famlily Guide, claiming "I'm laying out how to shoot a family portrait session in a away that's fast, fun and profitable.", I knew I had to get my hands on a copy right away. After seeing how Jonathan tackled family sessions with finesse and his willingness to share his secrets and tips first hand at The FIND Workshop, I did not hesitate to secured a copy as fast as I am able to click on the "buy" button. So what makes this guide so unique and special from other books and PDF's on the market? Well, it's simple. It's no-holds-barred, every.freaking.thing. you need to run a family/children portrait business from beginning to end, making the most money with the least amount of time. Because this guide is full of so much valuable, insightful and tried-and-true information that I can't possibly list them all for you here. So, I will make it short and sweet for you, my sweet Little Bellow fans!
I will give you 5 reasons why the Family Guide by Jon Canlas is NOT for you!
Here we go (make sure read to the end. Hint: there is something good you DON'T want to miss):
1. If you confidently believe that you know EVERYTHING there is to know about working with family and children, and that there is ABSOLUTELY nothing you can learn from Jonathan Canlas' tried and true experience.
In this guide, Jonathan shares the 10 most important ingredients that can literally make or break a photo session. These are not simply "hypothetical" theories that he threw up in the air. These are guidelines that Jonathan Canlas personally uses in every portrait session. He openly shares his personal shooting game plan, play by play, covering all the what-ifs during a session.
2. You know EVERY trick in the book to handle EVERY SINGLE nightmare session so that you can still deliver that perfect collection of photos the mom booked you for.
Ah, the nightmare photo sessions...we all have a few of those, if not more. You know... the session that makes you question your profession. With more than ten years of photographing clients under his belt, Jonathan is sharing candidly about how he handles the world-is-coming-to-an-end, all-hell-break-lose crying toddler of a just-spent-the-last-6-months-deciding-what-to-wear-for-this-special-session client. He will also show you how to deal with dads who are less than enthusiastic about the whole process of posing in front of a camera thing(y) his wife "made" him do.
3. You have 100% solid confidence on all techniques, including off-camera-lighting, camera settings and posing for large/medium/small/single/multi families, including that uncle who probably had too much too drink before the session, so that your voice and your styles shines through with every single frame.
How about when you booked a session with a big family who insist to take their family photos on an indoor basketball court lit by ghastly florescent lights? Yikes! No worries, Jonathan Canlas is coming to the rescue. In this guide, he not only show you how you can shoot under natural light, but he also covers his go-to artificial light set up and diagram so you are ready for every situation.
4. Your business is perfect as it is, and there is no need for improvement whatsoever. You don't care to improve your business so it can earn you real "Pajama Profits".
"Pajama Profits" whut? Yep! It's exactly what it reads. You sit at home, spending quality time with your family while your business is doing the work for you...making profits!! "How do you do that", you ask? Well, Jonathan will show you how he makes millions each year while spending time with his lovely family on the beach at Hawaii.
5. You are happy with your pricing because you are "working hard for your money". You don't think work more efficiently for the largest profit is your business model.
Let's face it! Working hard does not equal working smart. Have you ever feel the money in your bank account doesn't really match up how much time you spent working? Or, do you ever feel drained and depleted after a busy season, and when you do your math (adding up all the time you spent prepping, consulting, traveling, shooting, editing, more consulting, ordering, more prepping, delivering. etc.), you barely earning minimum wage? In the Family Guide, Jonathan shows you how to set session prices so that you are actually profitable while keeping the phone ringing. He also point out top 5 things to avoid when pricing your own sessions so that you can have your clients for life.
So what do I think? Well, first I am a firm believer that when someone who has more experience and is very successful at what he does has something to teach, I better clean out my ear wax and listen. Everything Jon has to teach you in this guide is worth every penny spent plus three times over!! I am not just saying this because I am a "Jon Canlas fan". I highly recommend this guide to those who are just starting out, whether you are shooting digital or film, and to those who are seasoned family portrait veterans. As a family and children photographer myself, I have gained incredible amount of knowledge and new insights just in the first few pages. I know when I buy something from Jon, it's not just a jumble of stuff put together for the sake of making some chump change. It's his heart and soul. He gives you EVERYTHING he has ever learned about shooting families. So, go get a copy and see for yourself!
THE OHANA MEANS FAMILY GIVEAWAY
Of course, I'd love to take this opportunity to do a GIVEAWAY because our fans are like OHANA to all of us here at Little Bellows. Here is you ONE and ONLY chance to win a FREE copy of The Ohana Means Family Guide by Jonathan Canlas, a $249.00 value! I am making it super easy for you all to enter so I want to see all of your shares:
1. Follow me on Instagram at http://www.instagram.com/joycekang_ig
2. Follow Little Bellows on Instagram at http://www.instagram.com/littlebellows
3. Share the following image (also posted on my instagram and Little Bellows Instagram feed) in your Instagram Feed, then tag me @joycekang_ig and @littlebellows then use #LBohana hashtag, then tell me why you want a FREE copy of this guide. Have fun and be creative. A winner will be announced tomorrow (January 16, 2015) at noon, central standard time. Good luck!!
Joyce Kang is a children & family photographer in Austin Texas. She is also a mentor and an instructor for Embrace The Grain, an intro to film photography workshop. She is married to her best friend and enjoys outdoors with her family. Her favorite gear line-up includes a Rolleiflex 2.8c, a Pentax 67 and a Nikon Fe2. She loves to indulge in a good book, and suffers from knitting-yarn-hoarding syndrome, and has a terrible addiction to any thing that tops with a heaping scoop of ice cream drizzled with chocolate fudge! She has been featured and published in international photography blogs and magazines such as Click Magazine, Lemonade and Lenses.